Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Anxietyand aspergers.

It has been a while since I posted anything here. I have been struggling with a bout of anxiety and self harm. Was prescribed an anti anxiety medication which, after one tablet, knocked me out for 48 hours and I did not recover from it for over a week. Apparently sensitivity to some kinds of medication can be part of my autism so prescribing it was probably not a wise mood. Thankfully I am on Propranalol (two 40mg tablets daily with the option of a third of needed). This is helping significantly. I have also started attending a local group assisting people with aspergers who struggle with anxiety issues. This is using the five areas approach.

I also bought this book which gives examples of how people cope with different aspects of living with Aspergers or High Functioning Autism. Anxiety is one of the top issues identified by aspies polled by the author:
Been There. Done That. Try This!: An Aspie's Guide to Life on Earth
I keep seeing things in it that I recognise and some of the ideas for coping with anxiety seem to be helping me.



No comments:

Post a Comment